The Ladies Challenge Plate was introduced in 1845, with a cup presented by the wives of the Stewards. For many years entries were restricted to academic institutions in the United Kingdom, together with Trinity College, Dublin but in 1966 the event was opened up to overseas student entries.
Major changes to the rules in 1985 led to the event becoming open to crews from any club, sitting just below the standard required for The Grand Challenge Cup.
This event was introduced in 1840 as The District Fours, a four-oared race with coxswains for local crews. It was opened up to any 'visiting' club in 1847, and renamed accordingly. In 1874 it became an event for coxless fours. In 1971 it effectively became a student fours event, before the rules were further revised in 2000 to open it up to clubs, and so expand the competition for intermediate-level crews.
The event is aimed at crews below The Stewards' Challenge Cup standard and now has similar rules to The Ladies' Challenge Plate.
This event was inaugurated in 2001 as part of the effort to expand the competition for intermediate-level crews, initially known simply as The Men's Quadruple Sculls. In 2007 HRH The Prince of Wales - now His Majesty King Charles III - kindly consented to his name being associated with a new trophy for this event.
The event is aimed at crews below The Queen Mother Challenge Cup standard and has similar rules to The Ladies' Challenge Plate.