The Ladies Challenge Plate was introduced in 1845, it is believed to be named after the cup was presented by the wives of Stewards, or ladies of Henley. Up to the 1966 Regatta, entries for this event were restricted to boat clubs from colleges, schools and certain other academic institutions within the United Kingdom together with Trinity College, Dublin. The rules were then widened to permit entries from any college, school or academic institution throughout the world.
In 1985 major changes to the rules for the 'Ladies' and the 'Thames' removed the 'student' requirement for the 'Ladies', which became an event open to crews from any club and is now the second most senior event for men's eights at the Regatta sitting just below the standard of crew required for The Grand Challenge Cup.
Originally called The District Fours and awarded for a local four-oared race with coxwains. The event renamed in 1847, but in 1874 it became an event for coxless fours. From 1971 to 2000 the event was open only to boat clubs of any academic institution throughout the world. At the Stewards' Meeting in December 2000 it was decided to expand the intermediate level of events by opening up The Visitors' Challenge Cup to clubs as well as to the students and by creating a new event for Men's Quadruple Sculls.
Th event is aimed at crews below The Stewards' Challenge Cup standard and now has similar Qualification Rules to those for The Ladies' Challenge Plate.
Introduced to the Regatta in 2001 at the same level as The Ladies' Challenge Plate and The Visitors' Challenge Cup. The event is for club and university crews below The Queen Mother Challenge Cup standard.
In 2007 H.R.H. The Prince of Wales kindly consented to his name being associated with a new trophy for the Men's Quadruple Sculls- The Prince Of Wales Challenge Cup.